My mother decided to interview me this evening, asking where I was going with my life and if things (namely a social life) were interfering with what was important. I gave a slightly blank stare (okay, it was probably extremely pointed, one of those looks that says "everyone is listening, please don't go where I think you're going with this") but to no avail. She proceeded to ask if I was doing things to prepare to become a wife and mother. And, to make it slightly more awkward in front of my poor father, included "are you dating?" as a part of this conversation. I understand that Mom is concerned, etc. but that doesn't make life easier when she asks about if I'm learning to cook meals (I've stayed alive the last several years, have I not?) and gone out on dates (well, it depends on if you're counting "going out on dates with guys that you're not remotely interested in" as dating). I let her know that yes, I can take care of myself and, on several occasions, I have cared for others and I also go on dates.
I don't even know why I'm posting this on the Internet, although it gives me some comfort that only friends are really allowed to access this (or would even think of doing so). I mean, what else can you say to your parents about being 24 and unmarried? "I'm sorry I've failed and that my next youngest sister has had to have all your grandchildren for you so far"? Or, "I've wondered the same thing, since I only got on about 2 dates a year and, more often than not, I have to ask a guy out for at least one of those dates"?
I think I'm starting to sound bitter, even when I don't feel that way.
5 comments:
1. I'm in your dinner group. Your meals are delicious. I don't think you have to worry about cooking.
2. If I were a boy, I would date you.
Thanks Jennifer. Sadly, real boys don't seem to think the same way. At least, real boys that aren't the stalker/hawk type don't. *Sigh* I'll have to work on that.
Real boys just don't know how fabulously awesome we are.
It's their loss, really. At least, that's what I like to tell myself.
I've been there before Natalia and I'm there still. Totally feel the same way and yes, I've had that happen to me too. I'm not bitter either. It's kind of an indifferent feeling...ish.
Yeah, the feeling where you're like "I'm doing what I can but it's not enough at this moment in time so I'll just go with it."
Like water rolling off a duck's back.
Post a Comment