Thursday, December 15, 2011

Emo Woes

Why does this economy hate me and all the stores I love? In the past year, four establishments I love have either closed or are in the process of shutting their doors forever. This post is a quick shout out to these companies.

1. Ottavio's. Easily one of my favorite Italian places EVER. I used to take my bakers there at the end of a semester to congratulate them on working hard. Also celebrated Mo's graduation there.

2. Borders. Some of my favorite childhood memories involved going through the fantasy and science fiction part of Waldenbooks (partners with Borders) in Jefferson City, MO. The news that they started closing stores last year around this time broke me heart. Another special connection is that some of my maternity pictures were taken inside Borders.

3. Roberts Arts & Crafts. It's a pity they're going to "online only" sales, since I don't know how productive that will really be for things like scrapbooking supplies.

4. F.Y.E. When I got the news about this chain closing, I got very upset. I mean, where else could I buy TV series for not $40 - 60 a season?

::sigh::

4 comments:

Kris10 said...

WHAT?!??! FYE!?!??!??!?! I am in SHOCK.

emily michelle said...

Everything about this post is exactly how I feel, except that I never ate at Ottavio's and I never got maternity pictures taken in Borders. Or at all, for that matter.

Michelle said...

Based on my internet "research," FYE may or may not be going completely under . . . but I do know they're closing a handful of stores around Utah. The chick at the store up here in Riverdale said there'd be one in Salt Lake still . . . for a while, anyway . . .
:(

Californiutahan said...

:( Sad. I miss Borders already (now I don't have a bookstore near me AT ALL), I heard about Roberts (and when I heard I had to go check things out I was so shocked), and FYE was AWESOME (Loved their used section!), but I haven't been there in a while, since I'm not in Utah. Ottavio's doesn't make me as sad, since I don't know that I ever ate there, but it's still sad since I remember it.