Thursday, March 22, 2012

A More Christlike Year

A few weeks ago, I attending a Relief Society meeting geared toward becoming "Guardians of the Hearth." One of the break-out sessions I attended had to do with improving personal and family scripture study. An idea shared was taking each of the headings about Christ in the Topical Guide and basing a Family Home Evening lesson on it. We've only been able to have a few, but I've loved doing it so far! My favorite was the first lesson, when we talked about Christ and his names (and their meanings) and Clark and I shared our testimonies with our daughter. We then walked into her bedroom and reminded her that the pictures above her crib are of Christ as a child or interacting with children. It was a simple lesson, but I felt the Spirit. :) I'm so excited to go through the rest of the topics and finish up next February!

Here are two of the pictures I have hanging on the nursery wall:

"In His Light" by Greg Olsen

Liz Lemon Swindle's "Be It Unto Me"

In case you're wondering, there are slightly more than 52 topics, but a few don't have scriptural references and a couple others are so similar that I combined them. In case you want to do this with your own family, here are the topics:

Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ—Jehovah
Jesus Christ, Advocate
Jesus Christ, Antemortal Existence of
Jesus Christ, Appearances, Antemortal
Jesus Christ, Appearances, Postmortal
Jesus Christ, Ascension of
Jesus Christ, Atonement through
Jesus Christ, Authority of
Jesus Christ, Baptism of
Jesus Christ, Betrayal of
Jesus Christ, Birth of
Jesus Christ, Condescension of
Jesus Christ, Creator
Jesus Christ, Crucifixion of
Jesus Christ, Davidic Descent of/Family of
Jesus Christ, Death of
Jesus Christ, Divine Sonship
Jesus Christ, Exemplar
Jesus Christ, Firstborn
Jesus Christ, Foreordained
Jesus Christ, Glory of
Jesus Christ, Good Shepherd
Jesus Christ, Head of the Church
Jesus Christ, Judge
Jesus Christ, King
Jesus Christ, Lamb of God
Jesus Christ, Light of the World
Jesus Christ, Lord
Jesus Christ, Mediator
Jesus Christ, Messenger of the Covenant
Jesus Christ, Messiah
Jesus Christ, Millennial Reign
Jesus Christ, Mission of
Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son
Jesus Christ, Power of
Jesus Christ, Prophecies about
Jesus Christ, Redeemer
Jesus Christ, Relationships with the Father
Jesus Christ, Resurrection
Jesus Christ, Rock
Jesus Christ, Savior
Jesus Christ, Second Comforter
Jesus Christ, Second Coming
Jesus Christ, Son of Man
Jesus Christ, Spirit of
Jesus Christ, Taking the Name of
Jesus Christ, Teaching Mode of
Jesus Christ, Temptation of
Jesus Christ, Trials of
Jesus Christ, Types of, in Anticipation
Jesus Christ, Types of, in Memory

5 comments:

*Janae* said...

Good idea! I'll have to try that (personal study at least for now)

Hilary and Eric said...

This is a great idea! Something that we have been doing is going over the new For Strength of Youth pamphlet. Even if you don't end up doing it for FHE it is awesome for personal study.

Naazju said...

For the Strength of Youth and Preach My Gospel will be our next adventures, Hilary. I'm glad that you're loving the first!
Janae: Personal study helps for family study. That was the whole point of our lesson. How can you share with other if you, yourself, are empty? You'll do fine!
Love you both!

Merry said...

Ooh, I like your list. I am studying the names of Christ in my personal study right now, and it is so satisfying. I think that I'll try this next when I'm all done with that.

A.J. said...

I really, really like that idea. : ) And I love putting pictures of Christ in my kids' room, and especially by my babies' cribs. You're such a good mom! : )