Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Songs

So, I used to work at a store where I had almost no control over what music we listened to over the intercom system. This only became particularly frustrating when Christmas season hit. And I don't just mean December--I mean October 15thish - December 31st. You see, most of the "approved" radio stations would start Christmas music long before Halloween ever hit. This was kind of . . . annoying? I don't really want to use that word because I do love Christmas music, I just can't take the same 10 songs over and over again. And while in my heart I know there are more than ten Christmas songs out there (even my Church's hymnbook contains 14) it just felt like the stations couldn't wait 45 minutes before starting the same music again. So, I made a list. Mainly because I wanted to be annoying and prove that the stations COULD go more than three hours before repeating a song (I remember hearing Silent Night three times in less than 90 minutes time and, even though they were different arrangements, I more heartily starting thinking ). So, here is a list that I'm making off the top of my head. And I'm going for spiritual and secular here, so you'll see my train of thought sort of wander. If you see something you think is missing, feel free to leave a comment. :D

  1. The First Noel
  2. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
  3. O Come All Ye Faithful
  4. O Tenanbaum (Christmas Tree)
  5. O Holy Night
  6. Silent Night
  7. Infant Holy, Infant Lowly
  8. Mary, Did You Know?
  9. Joy to the World!
  10. Handel's Messiah (I'm just lumping them all together; giving the radio a sporting chance)
  11. Up on the Housetop
  12. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  13. the 12 Days of Christmas
  14. Jingle Bells
  15. Silver Bells
  16. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
  17. I Wonder as I Wander
  18. While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night
  19. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
  20. Jingle Bell Rock
  21. White Christmas
  22. Blue Christmas
  23. Santa Baby
  24. Baby, It's Cold Outside
  25. that Hippopotamus song
  26. All I Want For Christmas
  27. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!
  28. God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
  29. Deck the Halls
  30. Fum, Fum, Fum
  31. Ding, Dong, Merrily on High
  32. What Child is This?
  33. Feliz Navidad
  34. Mary's Lullaby
  35. Coventry Carol
  36. Stars Were Gleaming
  37. the Holly and the Ivy
  38. We Three Kings
  39. Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains
  40. Angels We Have Heard on High
  41. O Little Town of Bethlehem
  42. Once in Royal David's City
  43. We Wish You A Merry Christmas
  44. Good King Wenceslas
  45. Here We Come A-Wassailing
  46. Christmas Waltz
  47. My Grown-Up Christmas List (you know, by Mariah Carey, I think?)
  48. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
  49. Carol of the Bells
  50. I Saw Three Ships
  51. Bring a Torch, Jeanette Isabella
There. I have 51 songs, and I only had to pause a couple of times (mostly because I can't spell 'hippo' or 'Wenceslas', but once after 39 songs, just to take a moment to see what else I could think of). Let's say the radio station plays three songs in a row, then goes to a three minute commercial break and the average song is three minutes long. That would mean that in one hour, they play 15 songs. So, I have more than three hours worth of material. Huzzah! Now, let's call our radio stations and ask them to use a little variety, eh?

5 comments:

Naazju said...

I have already been reminded of two more:

52. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
53. With Wondering Awe

Naazju said...

And another three:
54. Little Drummer Boy
55. Chestnuts Roasting (Christmas Song, I believe)
56. Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming

Naazju said...

57. Frosty the Snowman
58. Winter Wonderland
59. Sleigh Ride

Michelle said...

How about adding some "world" music? ;) (Well, you've got Feliz Navidad)

-Tiny Little Baby (Born in Bethlehem)
-Mele Kalikimaka

And some of those Ward Choir numbers
-Rise Up, Shepherd, and Follow
-Candlelight Carol

Kevin said...

I was going to say "Lo, how a rose e'er blooming" but I guess I can give some world ones like "Sinterklaas kapoentje" and "В лесу родилась елечка" and "Vive le vent" (the last one is really just french Jingle Bells, though).