Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Book Clubs
I wish I knew more about what to do in book clubs. I would have to say that the Harry Potter Companion is like one . . . sort of. Well, it's about a series of books that I (and other visitors) have read and we discuss nit-picky things. But what Harry Potter fan doesn't sit there with crazy theories all the time? Or remember all the havoc and crazy theories that were out there before the seventh book came out? It'll be different when I attend the book club meeting tomorrow for the book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I mean, it's not about wizards and I haven't been reading the book over and over for a decade. Has anyone out there been part of a good book club and want to give tips on what to discuss?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love book clubs! I admit that I'm a fast reader and many times don't really take a lot of time to ponder what I read - which is why getting together with insightful people to discuss a book is good for me. I'll often read reviews and even check out the themes/symbols/motifs section of the sparksnotes website in order to come up with a few discussion questions or topics before a book club meeting.
I seriously LOVED that book!! It made me laugh and even cry a little bit!! I was so sad that I missed the night my book club reviewed it because I wanted to hear everyone's reactions to it. That is what you should talk about in your club meeting, your reaction to the funny parts, as well as the sad parts, and the moral issues. I think you should even post what you think about it here on your blog!! There is so much to talk about in this book, like the writing style - I wasn't sure how I would feel about reading a book that is just letters all put together but I ended up loving it! I love how eccentric and vivid the characters are too! My friend who hates to read even really enjoyed this book! Let me know what you think because obviously I'm excited to find out how you feel about it!!
Post a Comment