Monday, January 23, 2012

Woe to the bather

As I read a friend's blog about how much her daily routine/expectations have changed due to motherhood, I couldn't help but laugh a little about how something as simple as showering every day just doesn't happen anymore. I loved that she seemed to take it in stride.

I don't often mind the little things that get postponed or dropped altogether because I have my wonderful daughter now, but I must confess that last night, as I pulled myself out of a warm bath that I'd only been in for two minutes because Azucena woke up crying, I was a little sad that I don't get as much "me-time" as I used to.

But I still wouldn't trade it for anything!

1 comment:

A.J. said...

Oh, the sacrifices a mother makes! : ) The things I never had a clue about when I was young! Now I know. Being a good mom means NONE of my time is my own--I might occasionally snatch a moment or two here and there, but mostly it will be when everyone else is already taken care of and asleep for the night before I get the time, and by then I am so exhausted it hardly seems worth it doing anything!

That, and, in anything you are trying to do, get used to interruptions. I can do almost nothing without interruptions. I swear I don't have Alzheimer's. I am just always mentally scattered (thank you, children!). There is no more "start something and work till it's done" anymore.

And just wait until there are TWO kids and more. You think you are busy with one. . . and you ARE, but really it is a whole different paradigm of busy-ness you are in for later!

I have learned a few things, though. I really have to put my priorities in place. I physically CAN'T do everything anymore--even the good things, even the things that "need to be done"--because I am limited so in my time. So choose.

Also, although you don't have a lot of "just you" time, take some of those moments you have. You give and give and give and if you never fill your well, you will very soon come up dry. Fill your well. Do the most essential things always--pray, read scriptures, take time to ponder--every day. Do the other stuff as you can--read a good book, veg a little, paint your toenails, get away for a couple hours. Those times won't come often, but they do so much to lift your spirits and give you the strength to go a little longer and give a little more and still be happy and not resentful because you get nothing for yourself.

And yeah, treasure the good times, the joys and laughter that come. There is so much of the other--the tears, the exhaustion, the frustration, the feelings of futility, the overwhelmedness of being a mother--that you need to really live in the happy, good moments. : )

Have a great day. Be happy. Take it one day at a time. You're doing a great job. : ) Cheers to you for being a good mom!