I was perusing my old e-mails (I've neglected my hotmail account so long that I had 48 pages in my regular inbox (I'm down to 25 now!)) and found this gem of a story:
So, the phone rings at work and I answer like I always do--"Creamery on Ninth, Naazju speaking, how can I help you?" And it's a guy wondering if we've gotten his application and can he get an interview? "Let me connect you with one of our managers." So I go down to the office and tell Anna she has a phone call. All the managers are there (they are actually in the middle of doing interviews) and I'm great friends with all of them, so I stay and chat for, like, two minutes while Anna is on the phone--and we kind of listen in. He's aking her what the job description is, what kind of perks you get (the only one is 50% off of our meals up to $5 a day--whopee), etc. Finally, he asks something like, do any Hispanics work there? Anna responds, "yes, we have a couple, and actually, one is sitting right in front of me, her name is Naazju, would you like to speak with her?" So she hands me the phone and says, "I think he doesn't understand something and wants it explained in Spanish." So I say, "this is Naazju, how can I help you?"
"Were you the one that answered the phone earlier?"
"Yes, I am."
"Oh, I thought you might be Hispanic, because you said my name correctly." [It's Pablo Gutierrez]
"Okay."
"Well, I was wondering if you would like to go out sometime."
"What?!" [Please note that I really did say that into the phone and my co-workers teased me about it for months.]
"I was wondering if you'd like to go out sometime."
"I guess so."
"Great, I have an interview there on Friday at 7:00, would you like to meet me at 7:15? Then we can eat there [yeah, at my work!] and your manager says you have, like, a coupon or a discount? Like, a 2 for 1 deal? We can use that when we eat." [Yeah! My discount at my work!]
"Um, okay, I'll see you on Friday."
So I'm worried about it all week long--I mean, he's weird and I've never met him, and I'm teased about it all week long and everything. So I sign up to work on Friday night at 8:00. I figure that's a good 45 minutes, and if *I* want the date to continue I can just say something like, "I'm really sorry, I have to go to work, but we can hang out again tomorrow," or something really lame.
Friday night rolls around and I'm in the office with the managers waiting for him to show up. 7 o'clock. 7:15. 7:30. 7:45. Nothing. He missed his interview AND his date with me. Lol. I worked, it was good, yada yada.
The next Tuesday, I get a phone call while I'm not at work. My friend Annie answers it. It's Mr. Pablo (as we affectionately call him at work). He wanted to apologize for not coming in on Friday for the interview OR teh date, and gave his number to Annie to give to me so I could call him and we coul talk and set something else up, because he (thankfully!) has no other way of reaching me, except through work. Annie accidentally threw the number away. :)
Aw, yeah. I had completely forgotten about Mr. Pablo until I ran across that e-mail. Also, just to put it in perspective, this e-mail was sent just less than five years ago. :D But the story took place about five years ago exactly (it was right in between summer and fall semesters at the Y). And I'm still giggling! :D
4 comments:
I LOVE IT!!!! :o) Too bad I wasn't around for this or you would never ever have forgotten about it! Bread anyone? :P
I read this because you told Fredjikrang to in his blog, and it made me laugh, which jiggled the sleeping baby in my lap.
Just thought you'd like to know.
Nae: It's true! This was a year before you came along, I believe. :D Aubrey and Trisha were there, and I think those are the only ones you would've known!
Krebscout: Thanks for reading. :D And I told him to read because I figured he'd have an entertaining comment but he hasn't said anything yet, so I'm going to call him a bum. :D
Dude! That would've been when we had our class together!! OMgoodness gracious. What a weirdy guy...it sure makes for a good laugh though!
Post a Comment