Monday, September 14, 2009

Sisterly Disagreement

First of all, I like being right. Second of all, so does my sister (I think we get it from our Latin-blooded mother and our awesomely smart father). So, we started a discussion about which of us look more like Mom. Not a mean or angry one, just one where the two of us were like, "hey! I saw this picture of myself and I couldn't believe how much I looked like Mom"! Unfortunately for the other sister, when we swapped pics, we didn't believe the other one. So we brought in the tie-breaker: Dad. I'll let you judge for yourselves before I tell you who won.


Upon the posting of this blog, I realized that I don't really have good pictures of Mom. I will have to fix this. But, hey, at least in this picture she's a) smiling and b) not blinking. :D Also, it's a straight-on shot, so you can see her full face.


This is the picture I chose to send to Nicoel. I remember looking through the pictures from the apartment photo shoot, seeing this one and thinking, "oh my gosh, when did I get a picture of Mom on a bench?"

This is the picture Nicoel chose of herself (which is why it's not her alone or a closer shot of her face). She said she was going through pictures and had a similar, "wait, why was Mom there?!" moment. :D

So, have you looked at them enough? Feel like you can come to a decision? Want a second opinion shot of our faces?

I'll give you another moment while I insert this side story:

I was watching a vid I took from one of my vacations to Colorado and someone was talking to Chanchito. I honestly can't tell if it was me, Nicoel or Mom (although I think I can narrow it down to me or Nicoel, since a phrase akin to "what the crap?!" was used and I'm fairly sure my mother doesn't say that . . . )

All right, now that I've kept you waiting long enough, I'll tell you that Dad's response was, "
I hate to say it [to Nicoel], but I think Natalia has always looked more like Mom." Hooray!

Well, now that we have THAT sorted out, I can do some real work for our family . . .

::edit:: In addition to having fun looking at which of the daughters looks more like the mother, I enjoyed noticing that I'm fairly sure I'm the fairest-skinned child in the family. So far, my awards are, "oldest," "lived in most places" and "fairest skinned." In October I'll let you know if I have been shunted to "shortest." :D

4 comments:

Fredjikrang said...

I agree with your dad. You look more like your mom than Nicole does.

A.J. said...

I think you both do in different ways. And don't feel bad about being lighter-skinned. Just think of it as fulfilling Book of Mormon prophecy about the Lamanites becoming fair and blossoming like the rose. LOL. In Josh's family we actually have these discussions a lot about the grandkids (e.g., Elsie and her cousins) and how they are all pretty white. Most of them you would notice there's something else mixed in, but none of them (excepting Will's kids--he married Trish, who's a Mexican/Samoan) are very brown. In fact, two of Justin's kids are blonde. At least for now. Maybe their hair will darken when they're older. : )

Naazju said...

You know, my mom's home stake (in Peru) is la estaca Lamanita. :D And, yeah, I understand the 'lightening of skin' thing, I just find humor in it considering everyone always tells me how much tanner I am or how white they are compared to me (when I'm not that dark!)

And give Josh's family a hug for me. They're awesome for having discussions like that. Also, I still remember when you guys had me over for Thanksgiving and I totally love and appreciate you all for that. :D

*Janae* said...

You do like your mom, silly!
And, that picture of you is HOT! :o)