Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Neighbors (and a rant)

We have new neighbors.

Not that we were that attached to the old ones (we saw them in person, what, like, eight times?) but at least they were considerate!

Our new neighbors moved in at some point this weekend (we don't know, we were out of town) and have been kind enough to let us know that they wake up before 6 a.m. How do we know that? Because they wake US up before 6 a.m. And I don't mean five minutes beforehand. I mean 5:10 in the morning.

That's right, kids, 5:10.

Call me old fashioned, but I've always been taught that there's a sacred bubble between the hours of 10 p.m. and 8/9 a.m. You are quiet. You don't do things like vacuum when there are neighbors downstairs or throw a dance party with open doors in the middle of a complex. And you don't freakin' yell at whoever else is in the house and have loud, personal conversations at who knows what noise levels at 5:30 in the morning. Or, for that matter, have a soccer tournament(?) before 8 in the morning. (That's my best guess--there was a lot of laughing, muffled noises, and a big WHOMP against the wall that's right next to my head when I'm still in bed trying to sleep.

Rant over. I just really wanted to vent. And have it down in writing should I need to get more proactive (seeing as it's only been two and a half days . . . )

Side note: is it evil that I keep thinking, I'll have a newborn in about three weeks and she'll keep whatever schedule/volume she wants and won't that teach them?

6 comments:

*Janae* said...

hahaha! yay for the sounds of your little girl to get revenge! ;) I love you!

emily michelle said...

Nope, it's not evil. They have it coming.

Sarah H. said...

LOL!! I was totally thinking that you will have the last laugh with a screaming baby in a few weeks. But I agree that is pretty lame.

Andrea Teague said...

haha Ah apartment living--how I don't miss you. Bang on the ceiling until they stop. Sure it's awkward, but you may get desperate otherwise. Our last apartment was the worst of all. The bollywood dancing/music noises were funny and charming until it woke us up at horrible hours in the morning after being kept up all night (like until after 5:30 am) by our next door neighbors--(they partied and did...other things...very loudly.) So yeah, I'm a fan of talking to them nicely about it, or to avoid all contact, banging on the ceiling. :D Good luck.

Naazju said...

Lund-Teague: We live on one side of a house/duplex, and I *have* banged on the wall that we share (which is to our bedroom and their bedroom) to no avail.

Luckily, the last two mornings they've been . . . gone(?) so we've been able to get some decent rest.

Thanks to everyone else who makes me feel slightly less guilty that I have those vindictive thoughts. :)

Natalie said...

Our previous neighbors (above us) included a single mom and 3 kids (ages 13, 10, and 8 I'm guessing). The kids never walked. I think they ran and hopped/jumped all the time. One time they even made the light in our living room flicker! But they're gone now ... and we're left with people who never sleep. They don't keep us awake, but anytime I've been awake at odd hours of the night for whatever reason (bathroom break, drink, sick and can't sleep), I hear somebody moving around upstairs. It's insane! Gotta love the apartment life!