Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving Thanks

Clark and I were assigned to give talks in Church this last Sunday. And while I love preparing for talks, actually giving them still scares the dickens out of me. :) Luckily, our topic was gratitude. Unluckily, it was also the topic for the couple that spoke before us. Lol.

Anyway, I based my talk off three others given by general authorities:
"An Attitude of Gratitude" by Thomas S. Monson (which may sound familiar even though this talk was given in 1992--it's because his talk this past October was heavily based on this one!)
"Give Thanks In All Things" by Dallin H. Oaks
"Live In Thanksgiving Daily" by Joseph B. Wirthlin

If you want to know how to be happy, start with Elder Wirthlin. If you feel like everything is crashing around you, start with Elder Oaks. If you want to see blessings all around you, combine Elder Wirthlin and President Monson's talks. They are such beautiful and special messages and I'm so happy that I was able to spend a lot of time last week thinking of the many blessings I have in my life.

Particularly poignant was the list President Monson offered:
1. Mothers
2. Fathers
3. Teachers
4. Friends
5. Our country
6. Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
I can't express my gratitude for any of these people or things any better than he did so, once again, I ask you to read his talk.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Thanks sooooooooo much for sharing your thoughts!!! The funny thing is, there are two of those talks I've been remembering through this week! You're the best, girl. We're soooo happy Clark found you and you him!! Happy Thanksgiving to two of the greatest kids we know!!! xoxoxo