My boss just spent an hour trying to convince me that I would love country music. Unfortunately for him, several of my friends have played this game with me before and it always comes to the same ending: I find very few country songs to my liking and I've heard most of the ones that they are "absolutely sure" I'll love. My boss took a slightly different approach--I hadn't been exposed to the right kind of country. So he went through and choose several different kinds of songs and, slightly shocking to him, I was able to name the artist of most of the pieces and even throw some titles in there. I sang along to a few of them, too, just to prove that I'd been exposed plenty of times to country music. I feel a little bad that, in five new songs (this is not including any music that I was already familiar with) that I heard, I only liked one. I guess I'll just have to stick with rocking out to folks like Coldplay, Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, Paramore, etc.
10 comments:
Lol. Great title. :D
So, instead of crappy pop country, you like crappy pop rock? ;)
What about 'la banda', or mexican country music? You know, stuff like Sin Bandera and Valentin Elizalde?
Fred: Thanks!
Dan: you know what I listen to. We have quite a bit of overlapping taste. And at least I don't have to listen to twangy voices when I listen to "crappy pop rock" (for the most part, anyway). :D
Sam: After he tested me on country music, he moved on to mainstream and, from there, Spanish music. He'd never heard of Sin Bandera (so I introduced them) and I've never heard of ValentÃn Elizalde, so I guess I'll have to check YouTube.com.
Valentin sings Como me duele
Do you also like Mana? (Yeah, they're not banda. At least I don't think they qualify as such.)
If I listen to Spanish music, it's usually a lot more old school, like Juan Luis Guerra, Jerry Rivera and Maná. So, yes, I have heard of them and love them. I'm also a fan of instrumental Spanish music (more like Andean rhythm, etc.)
Mana is old school? I didn't know that. But then again I am just a gringo with a chilango corazon as well...
I bought a cd of theirs as well the other day.
I just double checked and they've been a group since 1985. :D Since they're almost as old as I am, I'd consider it "old school."
AMEN!
I like the unplugged version of El Duelo," by La Ley. Great song when it kicks in.
Post a Comment