Friday, February 13, 2009

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet ... "

Does anyone else ever spend time worrying about how people you know will get along with other people you know?

For instance, last year I threw myself a birthday party. It was ridiculously fun for me (because I knew everyone that came) however, I'm not really sure how everyone else felt about it since half of the invites were for my (current) ward and the other half were for my (previous) job. In fact, because everyone came in clumps, they tended to stick to their own group--the living room was dedicated to ward members and the kitchen housed my co-workers.

And I always think to myself "wouldn't so-and-so and what's-her-bucket really be good friends if they just knew each other?" But then I back that thought up and think, "what if they did meet and they totally hated each other?" In fact, Macaroony and Hilary, I totally thought that you two should meet because both of you in the same room would be fantastic. But then I had those doubts . . .

4 comments:

Catie said...

That happens sometimes. It's a comfort zone thing, really. If other groups aren't open to meet new people it makes it difficult to really have groups mesh. For example: at the 'goodbye Kristen party'. I didn't know a lot of those people very well. Kristen's first set of Alta roommates I would've liked to have been better friends with, but instead I just feel awkward at the lack of connection with them besides Kristen and Jessica (Light-Mitchell). Because you are amazing and you basically love everyone...it makes it difficult when 25 people come and their only connection is you. It's rather unfortunate, really. Okay, this turned into an essay...oh well...lol. :D

Naazju said...

No, it was a good explanation! Thank you for explaining my thoughts more accurately than I can.

And, you're right: I sure do love people!

Dan said...

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."

Not if you called them 'Stenchblossoms!'

Kellie said...

I am always worried about this. It sucks, since you know that all your friends are awesome, and if they just got past that initial awkwardness, things would be awesome! I think the problem is groups. If everyone you got together came alone, knowing no one else but you, they would probably mingle. But since they already knew someone, they figured it'd be easier to stay with them. It's a quandary, my friend....