Monday, May 18, 2009

Musical theater often lends insight

So, I was listening to the soundtrack of the Scarlet Pimpernel this evening and Lullaby came on, and here are what are, essentially, the first and third verses of the piece:

"Go to sleep, say your prayers
Rest your head upon my shoulder
Slumber deep and breathe your cares away
. . .
Don't you cry, my darling, you are home
You and I together make a home"

And I was thinking about how much I want my relationship with my Savior to be like this. I want to be able to listen to him say, "rest your head" and let Him envelop me in His love, let Him completely wash away my worries and my doubts and have Him remind me that life is okay, I'll be okay, and that the results of choices I need to make will be okay, no matter what the answer will be. However, I know that life isn't simple, can't be condensed down to a few lines and I know that choices I have made in the past definitely affect my future. And how stupid I can be, sometimes. And how much I hope He still loves me, and how much I know He's supposed to love me, but how hard it is for me to believe it.

**edit**
"Precious young people, make every decision you contemplate pass this test: What does it do to me? What does it do for me? And let your code of conduct emphasize not 'What will others think?' but rather 'What will I think of myself?' Be influenced by that still, small voice. Remember that one with authority placed his hands on your head at the time of your confirmation and said, 'Receive the Holy Ghost.' Open your hearts, even your very souls, to the sound of that special voice that testifies of truth. As the prophet Isaiah promised, 'Thine ears shall hear a word . . . saying, This is the way, walk ye in it' (Isaiah 30:21)." -President Thomas S. Monson

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I do like finding such insights in supposedly unlikely places, like in the midst of a fantasy novel. :)

Sometimes that farther it is from reality, the closer it can get to real *meaning* . . . :D

Anonymous said...

You are so cute. I just love this post ;)

BeccaDorff said...

I really needed that today. Thanks!