Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Sometimes, fanfics make me giggle"

I am not an author by any means (that's why I keep Tryn around); however, can't authors tell when their work is getting ridiculous? Really?

56 comments:

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

If Meyer's couldn't, you think fanfic writers can?

Naazju said...

*ridiculous amounts of laughter*

Do we have to count her as a real author?

Michelle said...

Teehee

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

We're talking about real authors? I thought we were talking about glorified fanfic writers. My mistake.

Naazju said...

When I say "author" I mean someone who writes, is most likely published, and has sense.

Not that I don't mind sludging through sluff every once in a while. :D

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

lol, sluff? Is that the author equivalent of fluff that college student put in essays?

Naazju said...

Fluff is usually related to, erm, romantic junk. Sluff is just junk. :D

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

I think calling Meyer's stuff sluff is an insult to all sluff everywhere.

Naazju said...

Sluff generally isn't published.

Hey, Tryn, would you count the Twilight series as sluff?

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

True, sluff isn't generally published, but accidents happen sometimes.

Michelle said...

Are you talking about "slush?" I'm familiar with slush . . . as in, the editors (or their assitants . . . or someone further down the line . . .) get to go through the slush pile to pick out the good stuff from the bad . . .

And I still maintain that Twilight has some redeeming qualities. I like her writing style in general, if not her actual plot (or lack thereof) most of the time . . .

I dunno, therefore, if I'd call it "slush" so much as underdeveloped. *shrug*

But of course, it *is* great fun to make fun of . . . :D

Naazju said...

Oh, I own the books, don't I? I love her style. I hate the lack of plot. Slash the fact that she fills it with annoying fluff. :D

Marble/granite/statue, anyone?

Michelle said...

Fluff, now, if we're defining it as sappy romance, Meyer definitely has down pat.

:P

That thing is full of fluff. And angst. ANGST ANGST ANGST. :P

Also, Bella is a Mary-Sue. A real, live, published one. I think that's my main problem with it. Esp. at the end. Gah.

:P

Naazju said...

No. Freakin'. Joke.

I mean, except for the fact that she doesn't have amber eyes (covered by the vampires anyway) and some ridiculous name like Amethyst Zuqunchia Rosario, she's a Mary Sue. :D

Agreed? Agreed.

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

and that bella in Spanish means pretty.

Michelle said...

Well, see, she's this particular class of Mary-Sue, called by some the Anti-Mary-Sue . . . as in, she studiously avoids being instantly identified by the usual Mary-Sue tells, i.e. sparkling turquois/amethyst/gold-flecked/stormy/color-changing eyes, pink hair, a perfect life, etc.
But then goes to far the other way. Plain brown hair, eyes, personality . . . wrecked family, no friends, ANGST . . .

And then she *still* whips out with a Sue-ish display of instant problem-solving, climax-murdering super powers. *sigh.*

And now you're getting me into a literary discussion . . . watch out, or it may never end . . . ;D

Michelle said...

Also note: several of Meyer's characters DO in fact have color-changing eyes . . .

dun dun DUN!

Naazju said...

Oh, I know. We've had these in real life before, remember? And, yeah, the end was ridiculous. Actually, the entire Breaking Dawn novel was preposterous.

*Sigh* I think we're going to have to have another real-life discussion.

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

But their eye color change is Black if hungry, gold if feasted on non-human blood and red if feasted on human blood.

Is that Mary/Gary stu-ish?

Naazju said...

Um, their color-changing eyes make my heart melt like a popsicle on the sidewalk on the Fourth of July. *sigh*

Also, the make me want to dye my hair a violent shade of green.

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

So if Kralc got contacts that changed color depending on the amount of sunlight, it'd drive you crazy?

Michelle said...

Admittedly, they *do* have a better and more plot-advancing reason for having color-change eyes than your usual Sue/Stu (them being one of the clues Bella uses to discern the truth) . . . but still. Gold gets involved. And you can't deny that gold + color-changing = unmistakable Sue qualities . . .
;)

Michelle said...

(better in that they *have* an actual "reason" - drinking certain kinds of blood - as opposed to changing colors with emotion.)

Naazju said...

Uh . . .

What if I said that his eye color already "drives me crazy"? I've always been a sucker for blue and green eyes. Natural tones. None of those weird colors like blood-red or violet.

Michelle said...

And to Sam - only if said contacts also *SPARKLED* !!!111!12!Shift1!

Naazju said...

Tryn: but who doesn't want mood ring eyes? Much easier than hand-checking. :D

Naazju said...

Tryn (again): Um, I might have to revoke you as my roommate.

Michelle said...

:P

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

Wow. Sparkling contacts. Probably would ruin eyesight within a day and cause cataracts.

Also, for future reference, my eyes are a natural blue... ;-)

Michelle said...

Also, you're a goose.
;P

Naazju said...

And think about it, Tryn, sparkling contacts AND sparkling skin? What a horrible vampire *that* would be!

Naazju said...

Also, which of us is (currently) the goose? SPECIFY, Tryn!

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

Maybe we could harness their sparkling power to harness all our energy needs?

Fredjikrang said...

Lol! I love how such a small post has such extensive comments. ;D

And as someone who has written some terrible "sluff" in my time, I can tell you. Sometimes, it seems brilliant when you are writing it. It's not until you read it the next day that you realize what it really is. ;D

Michelle said...

Whoever wishes to be a goose may be a goose. I won't hold anyone back from that privilege . . .

Though in particular I was talking to Sam. Because he is one. ;) Or I guess he could be a gander, if we want to be all technical . . .

Naazju said...

Which is why you shouldn't post it all over the interweb until you've had a few good friends smack you upside the head with brutal honesty.

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

A goose/gander for my eye comment?

Fredjikrang said...

Exactly Naazju! :D

What really bugs me in the authors who think they don't need an editor. They could definitely use a nice smack to the head. :D

Michelle said...

Do I have to dignify that with a response?

wv: spins! A real word! I win. ;)

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

Umm... Yes?

Michelle said...

(that last directed at Sam. Not Neil. Since apparently I need to SPECIFY. ;) )

Naazju said...

Um, I'm leaving this party. Maybe I'll get a new phone to celebrate not being a sparkling idiot.

Huzzah!

Michelle said...

*sigh* fine. Yes. Eye comment. As that's the comment it was directly after, and a direct response to, and even shared some amount of parallelism with said Eye comment. What with using the "Also:" And now it's not even relevant any more. Like jokes, tossed-off name-calling just doesn't work as well with explanation.

And now I'm sad.
:(

:*(

:P

;)

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

Hmmn... Interesting conundrum.

That with how Bob calls me a penguin and you're calling me a goose; it's enough to get a gander confused.

Michelle said...

Now all you need is for someone to call you a magpie.

;P

Anywho, work's out. Time to go play. In the Sparkly sunshine. ;D

Fredjikrang said...

Hehe. Sunshine is both sparkly and shiny. It is undeniably distracting. :D

Dianey Face said...

47 Comments. Now 48. Oh my goodness.

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

I believe that's my fault... ;)

Michelle said...

Everything is your fault, Sam. Always.

;P

Also, I get another real word for my wv! ::panes::
;)

Naazju said...

I blame Sam, mostly, for bringing up the Twilight series, which usually causes debate. I blame myself and Tryn, partially, for rising to the occasion.

I also congratulate Tryn on getting the 50th comment on this post. Your prize? A cleaning party with me, tomorrow. :D

Fredjikrang said...

Wow! That's a great prize! :D

Naazju said...

It really is because, in the end, you get the satisfaction of living in a clean bedroom. :D

Michelle said...

Huzzah! Cleaning party!

Those actually can be pretty fun . . . ;)

Naazju said...

Especially if we're listening to good music. Like the live Coldplay album . . .

*hint, hint, nudge, nudge*

Fredjikrang said...

I finally got the Coldplay page to load, but I still haven't been able to actually download the album. It is nearly beyond sadness. :(

I have to agree though. I do love living in a clean room. The hard part is keeping it that way though. ;D

Naazju said...

Hence the cleaning party. :)