Friday, January 23, 2009

"What's in a name?"

If you haven't read my time blog, go there first. This is in response to why I like proper names infinitely more than nicknames or pet names.

I've posted my side of the story but here's the longer version: I like people using my name instead of nicknames or pet names, mostly because my family is big on using proper names because it shows how close/trusted you are. I mean, even in literature and some other cultures, people are wary to let their real names be known because it means you're lending a certain power to them, to be that intimate. So. . .in using my name, it means I trust you enough to let you/want you to use my real name. Hence, real names = close friends = I like it. (This is probably also the same reason I dislike people mispronouncing my name, especially if they know me--it implies you don't care enough about me to call me by my preferred name.)

5 comments:

Fredjikrang said...

That's a cool way to look at it. :D

(Guess I should work harder at remembering peoples names. Like not-Amy's. ;D )

Fredjikrang said...

(Though I think I am improving. :) )

Naazju said...

Names are very, very special to me. This is just a tip of the iceberg.

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

So why did you pick the nym of Naazju?

Naazju said...

It's a *lot* different on the 'net--too many people out there are trying to get information just to hurt others. I like my 'nym because it has to do with my name and is just as unique as my actual name. :)