You can ask my sister--I'm a ridiculously hopeless romantic/old-school kind of person. I've always wondered what it would be like if I had been raised in the 1880s, 1920s or 1950s because, other than the fact that I'm an extremely independant lady, I think I would've fit into those eras fairly well. (Well, the first mainly for the dresses that they wore and, yes, I know that's not a legitimate reason to want to switch decades but this is a blog post, okay?)
I can't really describe it, but I've always loved how things kind of worked out "back then." I mean, I was watching a music video (yeah, yeah, you thought this blog would be completely music-reference-free? Don't you know me?) for "Dark Blue" by Jack's Mannequin and the basis of it is a dance competition--very 50s. In fact, the girls are all wearing skirts that resemble those of the poodle-variety (oh, if y'all had only known me in the eighth grade) with pony tails all done up with ribbons in their hair. I can't dance, but I love to go dancing and that was such a happy decade--everyone being relaxed (relieved that the war was over) and new (good) music was just emerging and changes in life and attitude were happening and folks just wanted to celebrate life and be happy.
Which is probably the reason I like the 20s. If you ignore all the crime (well, there's always crime and bad things, remember how I'm focusing on the good?) and the blatant nonobservance of Prohibition, the 20s were also pretty darn rad. I mean, flappers were all about dancing and enjoying themselves, women were coming into their own, families were doing pretty all right. . .I mean, if the decade weren't so darn peppy, how did it get the nickname "Roarin'"? :D
And then I'm reminded of gorgeous ballgowns and box dinners and carriages and dance cards and I swoon just a little. I mean, any girl who was ever a girl thought about living in a time where all women were demure and the guys were actual *gentlemen*. And they'd call each other Mr. and Ms. and I seriously still get a little weak in the knees when a guy I like actually calls me by my proper name. There's just something very. . .exhilarating about the whole thing.
The end.
31 comments:
Lol. That was a lovely glimpse into your world. :D
Made me smile. :D
OMG! I'm exactly the same way! And I'm not ashamed to admit that I would like to change decades specifically for the dresses!
WV: recrana- to be reincarnated, only backwards in time
::Yells:: YEAH! This is reason # 5,234 why we are friends! I totally have thought the same way! Just ask my sister, she thinks I'm schizo! :D
Why hello Ms. Naazju...
Aren't you already in a relationship Sam? ;D
Does being in a relationship mean that I cannot be a gentleman to other ladies and speak gallantly? I thought not.
Whitney, Catie: we need to find a ball. Like, now. :D
You're such an ingratiating punk, Sam. But I already have a gallant gentleman-in-training. *glances at her Mr.*
I want to have a ball . . .
I want to go to Brighton!
I want a party with roomfulls of laughter!
:D
Michelle: *giggle*
Ingratiating punk eh?
I wish you luck as you train your favored in the ways gallantness.
I was told to use that phrase and it made me laugh. :D I applaud you for taking a girl's quirks into consideration as you addressed her.
Anytime, milady.
Way to hark back to an even earlier era . . . ;)
Makes me want to watch "Ever After," you know? Good thing you own it. :D
It's true, I do. :D
And it contains another instance of a girl who enjoys being called by her own name . . . :D
You know, Michelle, there is a reason I have never enjoyed nicknames or pet names--I really, really like my name. :D
I like it, too. I mean, Naazju is just so interesting and unique. . . . ;D
And it reminds people about hieroglyphics and creatures from LotR. . .
And lately, for me, NOS . . . as in Nitrous Oxide used to make cars go super-fast in movies like The Fast and the Furious . . . :D
But that's totally just me. ;)
Naazju reminds you of NOS? That's pretty impressive!
And yes, Naazju, I agree. Your name is pretty awesome. :D
Yeah, that would be just you. I can't think of anything else that my name reminds people of, at least, not off the top of my head. Also, this conversation is getting a little ridiculous, don't you think? :)
Thank you, Fred.
This conversation passed ridiculous several comments ago. ;) We are now firmly entrenched in the absurd.
You are welcome! I bet your Mr. thinks so too. :)
And absurd is sometimes equal to fun. ;D
Absurd is more often than not equal to fun. :D
wv: hersol. Heresy in an Aerosol can.
Michelle: Lol
Fred: I would hope he liked my name as much as I like his.
Sounds like there is a story here that I don't know! Feel free to share if the inclination hits you. :D
I actually have no idea what you're talking about.
Oh. Well, that's okay then. I just thought there was a story behind liking each other's names. :D
If you think this conversation is ridiculous, try reading this.
Eh, this isn't the most random or ridiculous conversation I've been a part of.
Post a Comment